In daily life, I am a professional photographer. My specializations are portraits and products. I receive assignments from companies at home and abroad. I learned to photograph with a cheap analog photo camera. Gradually switched to good cameras such as a 1958 Rolleiflex. After following various photography courses, courses and workshops, I have become more and more interested in photographing people. Capturing someone naturally (with respect for the person).
As a street photographer, I portray people in their living environment. Not only does the personal background reflect the living environment, but also the time in which he or she lives. In short, street photography is a way of documenting people in their time.
In street photography, people sometimes think that weird or strange people are the target of street photographers. On the contrary. Street photographers record a moment in time. This makes it clear how fashion was (or is now), the hairstyle or the shape and size of eyeglasses, and so on. Even unusual or fun situations can serve as a subject, but there are no strange or weird people. Everyone deserves and receives respect, also from street photographers.
“A human is so unique and diverse that it is always an exciting challenge to photograph them.”
Often people ask me what equipment I use. I’m using my Leica M-240 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens. Since almost a year I’m excited about using my new Olympus OM-D E-M1 with a 25mm f/1.2 PRO and f/2.8 12-40mm PRO lenses. The Olympus set is compact, light weighted and fast.
I always use fast lenses (1.2 – 1.4 are my favorite), because of its shallow depth of field. Yes, 9 out of 10 times I photographing with open aperture. Hopefully, I will receive my new ‘baby’ in March 2018, the 17mm f/1.2 lens.
For street photography, I never use a flash. I want to do my job in a low-profile way. A flashlight disturbs the scene (in my opinion).
As a street photographer, I mainly photograph on the street, in publicly accessible buildings and spaces (as far as permitted). If you see me photographing, just keep doing what you are doing, because that gives the best pictures.
If you think I have photographed you, please send me an e-mail (click here to use the contact form). Of course, you will receive a copy of the photo. See it as a thank you for photographing me.
Hopefully, I see you soon on the street or anywhere else.
Herman de Pagter
Please, visit my other website We Think Photo to find more information about corporate and portrait photography.
Short overview merits:
– first price Leica Images USA;
– exposition Art Gallery Bergen op Zoom;
– publication Visuals XXL Photography;
– exposition Gummarus Church Steenbergen;
– publication Selection of Excellence, Leica Meet;
– exposition Selection of Excellence, Londen;
– publication foto magazine XXL;
– Several times Selection of Excellence Leica Meet Group selection;
– publication Street Photography around the Globe;
– photographer of the Month January (International Photographers Association Meet);
– winner Award (Int. Photo Portal);
– winner Best Shot Winning Award (Int. Photo Portal);
– Mark of Excellence, category black-white photography (i-shot-it.com);
– publication street photography book: People in Black and White.